Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Materials: XPS foam 5mm 1050x500 (or Depron 3mm, 6mm) + Balsa wood 4x4,4x8 mm, aircraft plywood 2mm, UHU Por glue
Wingspan: 1026mm (40.4")
Length: 880mm
Flying Weight: 440g (14,9 oz)
Motor: MF2405-1300KV
Propeller: 1047
Receiver: FrSky S6R (12g)
ESC: VGood 20A (17g)
Servos:EMAX ES08D II (9g) x 4
LiHV battery: 1100mah 2S 7.6V
Retractable Landing Gear (25g)
Wheels 2"
Carbon Strips: 0.5mm x 3mm
Carbon Fiber Hollow Tube: 400x1.8x1mm
Nylon Control Horn with Clevis (0,52+0,34g):
Control Horn (0,5g)
Transparent plastic screws 4x16

Free plans

Print in actual size (100%) A3 297 x 420 mm (11.7 x 16.5 inches) Download PDF

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk RC Plane plans

 

 

Servoless Retractable Landing Gear(25g)
Nylon Black Screws (M2.5 + 8mm)
Silicone Rubber O-ring Sealing (6 x 2mm)

 

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk history

The Curtiss P.40 was one of the more famous and common American-made fighter planes. The aircraft was developed as a development of the P.36 Hawk fighter aircraft designed in 1934. In 1937, an in-line engine was installed on the Hawk instead of a radial engine.
The first versions of the aircraft were significantly inferior to the Me 109E or Spitfire. The use of Allison or Merlin engines increased the value of the aircraft.
During the period of serial production 13,738 different versions of the P.40 were built. P.40 planes were used by the aviation of the United States, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, China, the Netherlands, Norway and the Soviet Union.

The Curtiss P-40 was one of the most famous and produced fighters of the WWII. They were shipped to almost all destinations, from Alaska through Europe and Africa to Australia, and their total production was almost 14,000 pieces. The P-40 was created at the Curtiss-Wrlght Corporation's design bureau, and the designers set themselves the goal of developing an aircraft that would be a far-reaching modification of the P-36 Hawk serial fighter. The most important change was the use of the 1160 hp Allison V-1710-19 inline engine, which was installed on the tenth production P-36 A and received the designation HAWK 81. Tests were carried out on October 14, 1938. During tests, the aircraft reached a speed of 550 km / h. In 1939, the aircraft, already designated XP-40, took part in comparative tests of new American fighters. The tests were successful. At the end of April 39, the US Army Air Corps ordered 524 P-40s, then the contract was increased to 968 aircraft. The first production P-40A was flown on April 4, 1940. France ordered 140 aircraft, but after the defeat in 1940, they were accepted by the British, assigning them the designation Tomahawk Mk. 1. At the beginning of 1941, the R-40 B variant appeared, equipped with a bulletproof windshield, an armor plate protecting the pilot, and increased armament due to two 7.69 mm guns in the wings. A self-sealing fuel tank is also used. The weight of the aircraft increased by 200 kg, which somewhat worsened its flight performance. The next version of the P-40 C had a modified fuel system and a rejected fuel tank. This, however, again led to a deterioration in performance, forcing the aircraft to be improved. For the new version, the Allison V-1710-39 1150 hp engine was chosen. with the possibility of increasing up to 1470 hp in 5 minutes. The new unit has become shorter, which entailed a change in the shape of the engine covers. The cooler has grown and moved forward. Two 12.7 mm machine guns were removed from the engine and four 12.7 mm machine guns were installed in the plates. This version. The P-40 D had markings, but only 22 copies of this version were produced, the next ones already had 6 km, and the P-40 E was marked. 1,300 hp, the effects were promising, and the aircraft went into production as the P-40 F Warhawk. This name was also used for earlier versions, starting with the P-40 D. The Serial Warhawk was powered by 1300 hp Packard Merlin V 1650 engines. From the F-5 version, a 0.67 m long bogie was used, which improves the stability of the aircraft. In parallel with the F version, work was underway on
In versions with Allison engines, the result is a P-40 K with an Allison V 1710-73 1325 hp engine. Attempts have also been made to create a lightweight fighter to lighten the Warhawks by reducing armament to 4 km, removing some armor and reducing the capacity of the fuel tanks. This version, designated the P-40 L, was powered by a Packard Merlin V1650-1 engine. The next version was a model developed from the K version, but equipped with a weaker 1200 hp Allison V-1710-81 engine, designated the P-40 M. Most of them went into service with the RAF under the designation Kittyhawk Mk. III. At the beginning of 1943, the Warhawks ceased to meet the requirements, and only a significant improvement in performance could save the aircraft from being discontinued. It was assumed that the improvement in performance would be achieved through a reduction in weight and the use of a more powerful engine. Thus, the armament was limited to 4 machine guns, the fuel supply was limited, and lightweight radiator legs and much lighter wheels were used. The plane marked R-40 N-1 does not differ from the M version in appearance, the engine is still driven by the B 1710-81 engine. During tests, this aircraft developed a speed of 608 km / h (it was the fastest Warhawk). Some changes were made in subsequent versions:

- N-5 will receive a new interior trim, a new type of seats, armament in the form of 6 machine guns.

- N 20, 25, 30, 35 - Allison V 1710-99 engine with 1200 hp.

- Н-40 - Allison V 1710-115 engine with 1360 hp.

The last P-40 N left the Buffalo factory on November 30, 1944, it was the 5129 of the most popular version of the N. The most interesting version of the aircraft was the XP-40Q with a V 1710-121 engine with a power of 1425 hp. with high-altitude water injection, coolers are moved on the wings, a drop-shaped end of the cabin is also used. This aircraft reached a speed of 679 km / h, had better climb and a higher rate of climb, but in 1944 there were much better fighters in the United States, and the XP-40Q was not put into mass production.

Polish pilots flew this type of aircraft in the 11th RAF 2nd squadron and Col. In Urbanowicz, China.
P.40 planes in the British service were used mainly as attack (fighter-bomber) planes in North Africa. In the Pacific, P.40 supported the operations of the land forces.